Saturday, March 19, 2011

Experience Freshly

"The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" 
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden


"The newness is always there, lying just beyond the veils of habit and assumption. No two pine tree are just alike. Even the pine tree you looked at a moment ago is no longer the same as it was. Everything is changing. Everything has more to show us that we have yet perceived. The commonplace is only the self-constructed wall that separate us from the marvelous" 
- Tom Brown, Pathways to Nature


"In the 'now,' you have no past or future, and everything is experienced freshly. A person without a past has never seen a tree, a mud puddle, or a blade of grass. A person without a future is free of worries and fears and open to whatever may cross his or her path."
- Tom Brown, Pathways to Nature


"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people."
 - George Bernard Shaw, quoted in Half the Sky


Off on a two-week safari to Ngorogoro, Serengeti, and Lake Natron. I'm ready to reunite with my animals friends and live in a Maasai bomma for four days. Smell you later. Lots of love. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alannah....Have been reading all your blogs.We are very excited at the wonderful experience you are having. Stay healthy and safe.
    Love you very much,
    xoxoxo
    Grandma & Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie,
    I love the quotes from Tom Brown. I am going to rewrite what I wrote in your journel before you left on this amazing adventure.

    Called "Our Big Five" (not to be confused with Africa's Big Five - which is five of Africa's greatest wild animals, Lion, Leopard, Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino)
    1. Go with your eyes wide open
    2. Make sure your ears are always listening
    3. Keep smelling the roses
    4. Taste just enough to know and remember where your home is
    5. Touch those around you with your kindness.
    We can't wait to see you. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful talking to you. Mommy is trying to get me on. I love you. xoxo Bubie
    SUCCESS...I will answer your next blog!! - Stay out of the bushes!!!!

    ReplyDelete