Thursday, January 27, 2011

Amsterdam

I'm currently sitting in one of the nicest and silliest airport lounges I've ever seen. The chairs are basically squares with blue or lime green fabric with wooden barriers in between them and no back rest. Many people of all shapes and sizes have configured themselves to fit into this awkward cube of space. There are also bookshelves with televisions in them, a playground for children, and special chairs with ipads. This is all in the main hallway of the terminal. The flight over was pretty good. I nustled into a window seat and only got up once because the nice old man in the aisle threatened to charge me 10 dollars if I woke him up again. A pleasant surprise was the vegetarian meal - Indian food mmmmm.

The sun is rising here. In a few hours, I'll be on a plane to Kilimanjaro airport. Eek. So excited. For the first week of the program we will be camping in Western Kilimanjaro for orientation. I  have no idea what to expect and I'm happy about that. Will probably be out of touch for a while. Lots and lots of love.

11 comments:

  1. Enjoy every minute!! Miss you already. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alannah,
    Your mom sent me your blog and I'm loving it. I've been to that airport in Amsterdam and I know it very well. Can't wait to hear about your arrival in Kilimanjaro.
    Good luck and we're thinking of you here in Canada.
    Best regards,
    Susan Gordin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alannah,
    You go girls! Keep us posted when you can, look forward to every word.
    Big Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Alannah,

    Have the most fabulous time!!! Take care of yourself and I cant wait o hear of your adventures..
    Love, hugs and kisses..Auntie Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alannah, I am now an official follower of your travels. You're on my bookmarks bar...
    Post your address somewhere/send it to me if you can... i will try to send fun letters to your home-base :-)
    MISS YOU LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sweetie,
    You are missing the snowstorm of the Century. Wash U closed today at 3:30pm and they predict there will be about 2 feet of snow in St. Louis. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine. Miss you.
    mom xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canadian Consulate in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania



    Please note and put this information in your phone when you get it.

    High Commission of Canada in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania send edits
    38 Mirambo St., Garden Ave.
    Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
    City: Dar es Salaam
    Phone: (011 255 22) 216 3300
    Fax: (011 255 22) 211 6897
    Web Site: http://www.daressalaam.gc.ca
    Email: dslam@international.gc.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. alannah, so wonderful to hear from you at the begining of your new adventure. I am so proud of your spirit and your courage and of who you are and what you do.I am living vicariously through your journeys. looking forward to your next entry. be safe and have fun
    xoxo karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alannah. I am so excited to follow you on your journey. What an adventure. We will all live the experience through you. Have the time of your life. I am so very excited for you. You go girl!!!!!!!

    Lots of love,
    Denise Gold

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alannah.

    Just want to let you know that grandpa and I are always thinking of you.
    We wish you good health ,to be safe and a great experience.

    Love you very much,........Grandma xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alannah...Still thinking of you all the time.Your blog is most enjoyable.Love you very much.
    Stay well and be safe....Grandma & Grandpa

    ReplyDelete